Year 6 - 2016 - 2017
Welcome to the Year 6 page! Here you will find lots of information on what Year 6 have been up to and what we are looking forward to!
Theseus and the Minotaur
After lots of research, we made radio talk shows about Theseus and the Minotaur. We had to decide whether the myth had any basis in truth. Some of us took on the role of sceptics, some believed the myth and some were hosts of the show.
Hertford Dance Festival
We took part in a dance festival at Hertford Theatre. We danced to Adventure of a Lifetime by Coldplay. The theme was Our Beautiful World. We worked really well together as a class. I think we did really well. We put a lot of work into it. The best bit was the end when we got a really big round of applause. Mrs Dunlop was a good choreographer.All the people back stage told us that we did really well.
by Holly Celano
Year 6 made some memory boxes for homework this week. The boxes are seen in Mexico at the time of the Day of The Dead celebrations. The box is filled with items which evoke memories of a loved one. We had some very moving moments. Year 6 shared their boxes with their buddies from Year 2.
Day of the Dead Celebration.
On Wednesday 2nd November, Year 6 invited their families to join in their celebrations marking Mexico's Day of The Dead.
We had a wonderful host who invited everyone in ( and saw everyone out!) in the form of Luca.
It was then on to the feasting.
We had fun making chilli con carne, guacamole and salsa to be served in our very own Mrs Fusi's Marraca Restaurant!
Everyone enjoyed themselves.
THE TRIAL OF SIR TOBY BELCH
On Thursday 5th October Year 6 held the trial of Sir Toby Belch. He was accused of the abuse and unfair imprisonment of Malvolio. The children acted as lawyers both defending and prosecuting. They also acted as witnesses, newspaper reporters and jurors.
I strongly believe that Sir Toby Belch didn't go too far with his punishment for Malvolio. Malvolio is accused of ruining his party. Malvolio does not know the meaning of fun; he is mean and horrible. Sir Toby is known for his good sense of humour and also they didn't force Malvolio to wear the yellow stockings, but he did. Although people are saying Toby was mean,he would never do such a thing . He did the right thing to lock him away; he was going crazy. As a lawyer I strongly believe that this is the right side for you. Malvolio threatened Sir Toby Belch, he said "I'll get revenge on you!"
Malvolio was humiliated and he deserved it. If I were Sir Toby Belch I would have done the same thing. You would have done the same thing wouldn't you? 9 out of 10 people agreed with me, and the person who didn't was Malvolio's mother. Malvolio is a mean, mad, mischievous person who is stubborn and horrid. Sir Toby Belch is innocent.
As a lawyer of this court it is my job to protect Sir Toby Belch. Before I give my reasons why Sir Toby is innocent I have a question- do you like fun? Sir Toby has been brought here today all because he had a party. 99% of people enjoy a party and that remaining 1% is Malvolio and the prosecutors. Sir Toby's punishment did not over step and I believe Sir Toby and Sir Andrew are not guilty.
As a lawyer I strongly believe that Sir Toby Belch is innocent because Malvolio is mean and stubborn. He ruined their party. Malvolio not only ruined their party, he also makes Sir Andrew and Sir Toby's lives boring by stopping all their fun. Also at the end of all this Malvolio said he will get revenged. So if you don't like Malvolio join our side and put HIM in prison.
We strongly believe that Sir Toby is in the wrong and he should be thrown straight in the dungeon. As well as being a dirty, drunk demon, Toby has done wrong to Malvolio; Malvolio's threats are understandable. Together, Sir Toby and Sir Andrew are like fire and lava bubbling ready to explode. In my opinion Toby and Andrew took their punishment too far. They made Malvolio heartbroken and humiliated which is cruel and devious. Would you like to be humiliated, heart broken and hurt? I Know I certainly wouldn't. 94% of people say it is right to gaol Sir Toby and Sir Andrew!
We have come to the conclusion that Toby and Andrew deserve a severe, sharp sentence in prison.
We looked at different features of persuasive writing and tried to use them in our work. See if you can spot any of them:
R rhetorical questions
E emotive language
Don’t tell me how talented you are. Tell me how hard you work.
Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
It’s not that I’m so smart, it’s just that I stay with problems longer.
Nothing will work unless you do.